Happy New Year! Silence Is Golden!

2012 is off to a quiet start.

Along with my usual New Year ritual of 're-thinking', 're-evaluating', 'de-cluttering' and 'organizing' I'm getting to evaluate the benefits of 'silence'. I've been without a voice (as in laryngitis) for over a week now. I know what you're thinking.....so yes - Mike is jumping up and down in elation! Ha!

I'm trying to keep a good perspective and I am thankful I still have fingers that work and I have the ability to type, email, text message and write! My sign language is limited so three cheers for technology!

It's amazing how 'routine' certain activities become in our life and how we take the smallest of things for granted. Habits run deep. Like pulling into a drive-thru and then getting to the order box and realizing.... 'Ummmm, I can't talk' (well, isn't this embarrassing!)

You get creative and inventive REAL fast when your normal means of communicating is hampered in some way.

Each morning I get up and let the dogs out for their morning "constitution" - but just like kids they can't be left to their own for too long else they'll be into mischief in no time. After a few minutes I usually go to the door and holler their names to come in. Ummmm...didn't happen this week. Good thing I can whistle! My dogs aren't familiar with sign language! Ha!

On a more serious side tho' this brief vocal set back has made me stop and pay greater attention to what is going on around me. It isn't always necessary to fill every moment with noise. I caught myself on many occasion wanting to quickly jump into a conversation to add my two cents worth (but of course couldn't) and it's made me think twice about whether or not what I might add is really necessary. Sometimes it's just better to let the other person be 'right' (even if they aren't) and just sit back, smile, nod in acknowledgement when appropriate, and let them have the last word. Sometimes, and I'm sure you can relate, I meet someone that I can barely resist the urge to tell them to shut the "H" up!! But alas...I do.

I was prompted during one of my meditation moments this week of the verse in Ephesians that 'speaks about' (no pun intended...hehe) what kind of 'talk' should come out of our mouth.

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is…1) helpful for building others up…2) according to their needs, that it may... 3) benefit those who listen"

Wow! what a GREAT reminder!!

I may not have a voice to speak, but I have eyes to see and ears to hear! Time to engage those senses a little more!

But since I haven't been able to talk much I've been paying more attention to others. Why is it that people seem so uncomfortable with the idea of 'silence', especially when they are around other people? Some people just have to talk! It doesn't seem to matter how meaningless the conversation is! Then there are those that escape into their iPod/iPhone/iPad - as if they are escaping from the present silence somehow. Not!

Whatever happened to just enjoying other people's company quietly relaxing, without guilt, and just 'be'? How come we feel the urge to some how 'fill the void' of quiet with music, stupid tidbits of nothingness from our lives? Some can't resist the opportunity to tout their ability to rule the conversation with their expertise and plethora of wisdom. My grandson said it best one day while we were watching TV..."Gramma, I think that man is just talking out his butt". Humorous coming out of a 4 year old's mouth - but all too true of many people!

Being quiet, silent or what have you, doesn't have to be a meditative experience - if you just discipline yourself - it can be actually quite fun! Is your life so filled with 'white noise' (TV, radio, iPod, meaningless banter from friends/family) that you miss out on what really matters? Speechlessness isn't something that only can be practiced as some spiritual ritual or only when you're alone. It can be a very comforting experience. Even relaxing.

When was the last time you heard the winter wind, the whistle of spring birdsong or even what your kids are REALLY trying to say to you? The old saying "Silence is golden" has some truth to it. Listening is just as important, if not more, than talking. It's funny to watch people's response to my 'whispering' - They originally begin their speech talking in a normal volume and when I 'whisper' a response...they then 'whisper' back! Hilarious. I guess it must be an automatic behavioral response or something.

The antibiotics I was given by the Dr. will only address the sinus and upper respiratory infection I acquired - the only remedy for my vocal condition is, well - the 'silent treatment'. I've tried the lemon and honey with warm water, the salt gargle and even a shot of tequila! No dice. The 'life prescription' I've received has far more value to it and I intend to enter this New Year with a keener sense of value of silence and being mindful of the words that do eventually leave my mouth.

That's it for this week. The rest of my life is status-quo, which is a good thing. Silence is something you can share, it can be very comforting. Try it some time!


http://www.thewebcomicfactory.com/comics/2011-04-13-IAR-MC-07.jpg

No comments: